For the first time the Levisson Institute organised in spring 2013 a training for gabbaim. Almost 40 people from all congregations in the Dutch Union for Progressive Judaism and from Beit Ha’Chidush participated.
The lessons were taught by rabbi Menno ten Brink, dean of the Institute, some other rabbis and members of the congregations, among them gabbaim.
During three Sunday afternoons the participants learned theoretical and practical subjects:
- Historical development of the synagogue and its officials
- Text study
- What does the shamash during services and chupot?
- What does the gabbay?
- Lists of mitzwot and schedules
- List of terms for the Torah readings
- Order of aliyot
- Which mitzwot exist and why
- Misheberach, birkat hagomel, yizkor
- Continuation mitzwot
- How to handle a Torah scroll
- How to call for aliya?
All lessons (in Dutch) are filmed and can be watched on the Dutch side of this subject.
If and when another similar course of study will be initiated, this will be advertized on this website.
The book will be available via Sja’ar Foundation, publisher of the Dutch Union for Progressive Judaism.